Tuesday, March 02, 2010

The Makeup Show 2010: There's a Theme Here...

I went to this year's Makeup Show with 4 goals in mind: Learn. Talk. See. Try.




Ok, make that 5 things in mind: Learn, Talk, See, Try, BUY.

I realize that the combination of both my ancient age and having my own line, I have tunnel vision. I went to learn what's hot in the industry, learn what's new and upcoming, learn what the pros are looking for, and learn new techniques and applicataions. The Makeup Show is unlike IMATS or Cosmoprof in that it's a boutique show. It's relatively small (you must be a pro in the beauty industry to attend), but chocked full of vendors and artists that are more makeup driven than say, special effects driven.


Both during the Blogger preview the day prior to opening the show, as well as during the show, you get the chance to talk to the respected and well known artists and creators themselves. Award winning artists such as Jon Hennessey, Kat Aragon, James Vincent and Michael DeVellis. I talked and met the people behind the brands, like Eve Pearl, Lori Taylor of Smashbox, David Klasfeld from Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics (aka OCC), Kevin James Bennett of Make Up For Ever, and Wojtek Inglot of Inglot Cosmetics.




I saw all sort of new products that launched at the show: new shades of lip tars from OCC, the HD Microfinish blushes from Make Up For Ever, brand-spanking new products not yet on the market including Smashbox's Hyperlash Mascara and Halo Hydrating Bronzer, and Inglot - a cosmetic company that is huge in Europe, and just opened it's first US store in New York.


I was determined to go outside my comfort zone for once. I talked and learned from Eve Pearl and Koren Zander on how to best apply makeup to this tired ol' mug, and getting a makeover from these creme de la creme artists:







I saw all sorts of old friends and new, including Elessa (Pursebuzz), Koren (EnKore Makeup), Felicia (This That Beauty), Melissa (Epic Makeup), Michael (Jeune d' Age Organics) and Grace (Grace Chun MUA). Way more, but those are who are popping into my head at the moment.





And, of course, I bought. Oy, did I buy. But I was proud of myself: I bought things I never would normally use, determined to be more hip and not so "50". Where to begin? This year, it's all about the pigment. Intense pigment. "Don't screw up because you'll never get it off" intensity. So, of course, I tried to go with some of the more neutral stuff, knowing that yes, as a second generation klutz who only knows one way to wear her makeup, I will screw it up.



Make Up For Ever HD Blushes:

Perhaps I should have talked about lip tars first, as these brand, spanking newly introduced HD blushes are like lip tars for cheeks. They give a whole new meaning to "a little dab will do you"!


This gems come in a small pump bottle that you could never, ever conceiveably use up. At the blogger preview, one small, not even a 1/4 pump was put on my hand. I rubbed it in, and rubbed, and rubbed... covered the entire back of my hand in so much pigment I looked bruised. Traces of it were still there the next morning even after using a salt scrub trying to remove it! Uh... go for the light colors, Robyn. The bright pale pink (#13) is actually pretty easy - it rubs on much more sheer than the rest of their colors, and great for giving just a touch of all over color. I'm still working on how to best apply the bright apricot (#12). This morning, I used a drop not much bigger than the size of a pinhead, blending it into my fingertips before applying. Still too much and had to use a bit of foundation to blend it in. This one is going to take practice - perhaps with a sponge. As of right now, the HD blushes are only available at Sephora.com, coming to stores soon.


OCC Lip Tars:


I'm generally not a fan of lipstick. I tend to talk it off within 32 seconds of applying, so what's the point? OMG, I couldn't talk these lip tars off if I tried. Again, another "don't put too much on" product (a theme here?) - these are swatched using just the itty bitty bead on the hole of the applicator tip (Hoochie, Vapid and Complex are all new colors, not yet available):


They're like paints as well - although I like the idea of a bright red like NSFW (Not Suitable For Work), I'm afraid to pull it off without looking like a Real Housewife of New Jersey. But look what happens when you mix it with Complex:

I put my lip tar on this morning at 6:00am. I've been eating, drinking, talking and all things inbetween non-stop since then. It's been nearly 9 hours, and my lips still have plenty of color. Maybe lipstick isn't just for weddings and pictures anymore? Worth noting: I find them drying on the lips, but not an issue if you wear a lip balm beneath.


Inglot:

Because Inglot has only one retail store in the US, and though you can see all 2,000+ colors of makeup, their website is not yet ready for online shopping, The Makeup Show was my one and only chance to see them. I'm a huge fan of gel liners, and was immediately drawn to their 20 colors of matte gel liners. I ended up with 3 shades, with the ice blue (#88) becoming a new personal fave after only one day. It looks great on my waterline and flatlined to make my eyes look bigger and brighter. These liners go on soooo smoothly, and really, really last. I swatched them on my arm last night, and had a hard time removing them (hmmm... that theme again). We'll see tonight just how hard it may be to remove from my eyes. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to really check out their shadows. The booth was nuts (understandably, as all knew this was a one shot deal), and since all their pressed products can be purchased either alone, or in a palette that you create with the colors you want, I would have needed hours just at the one booth.


These were just my "go outside your box" purchases. I still have all the stuff I've been wanting to try that isn't so scary!

2 comments:

  1. cooooooooooooolllllllll!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was more than happy to search out this web-site.I wanted to thanks for your time for this excellent read!! I definitely enjoying each little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you weblog post.

    ReplyDelete

Please let us know what you think about this post! Your tips, tricks, opinions and questions are always welcome.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin