Monday, September 14, 2009

How I $pent my weekend...

Most of my beauty blogger pals have been attending New York Fashion Week, making me envious of the hob-nobbing and parties with every well known brand on the planet, getting treated like royalty (one even winning a necklace from Tiffanys!), while I toil away.


OK, I can't feel too sorry for myself. I spent (literally, as in moolah) Saturday attending a Spa & Esthetics show. By the time I left, I looked like a bag lady - I'm not one to pass up a deal; who cares if I don't need it? This is a crappy pic taken with my cell while trying to juggle car keys, water bottle, purse and Lord knows what else of just some of the haul I walked away with at the end of the day:






I bought Zoya nail polish when I rarely do my nails, but it was only $18/6 bottles! If you wanted the overstock shades, you could get those for only $12 for 6 bottles. Picked up some Fake Bake in eleventy-seven different forms (spray, mousse, lotion....) because my daughter can't stand it when her tan lines from being a swimmer prevents her from wearing spaghetti straps or low backed dresses. One small bottle would have done just fine, but noooooo.... let's buy the kit with one of everything! I now have more samples of different moisturizers, anti-aging creams, masks, etc that I'll never have to buy a full sized jar for months! Let's not even talk about the Clarisonic brushes and their face washes in Back Bar (big, half gallon jugs with pumps in 'em) sizes. Let's just say I'm well stocked for the next year or ten.



I bought these great microfiber towels, made with bamboo charcoal from Hollywood Face. OMG, these are to die for! They are the fluffiest, softest, most absorbent towels I've ever seen in my life. I purchased them to use to dry the inside of my blender jars (gotta get those puppies super dry immediately after washing them), and trust me, I'm going right over to their website and buying them in the washcloth and bath towel sizes. If they'd make sweat pants out of them, I'd buy those too. Here's what they say about bamboo charcoal: "Bamboo charcoal is made by heating bamboo at a temperature of more than 1,000oC, then grinding them into nano-particles to combine with filament yarn. The bamboo charcoal component of this textile gives it absorption properties that reduce moisture, inhibit bacteria, and eliminate odor." They also claim that bamboo charcoal releases negative ions, shown to relieve stress and boost energy levels, improve circulation, and facilitate relaxation. I don't know how true that is, but makes another good reason for them to make sweat pants and sweatshirts from this stuff. I can tell you that I was able to dry out my blender jars in one fowl swoop; there was absolutely no mooshing water around. Just sucked it right up.


And since I had all this new nail polish lying around, had to do my tootsies today too. I was so focused on the great deals and trying to choose 6 shades from 300 options, I didn't really pay very close attention to Zoya's products at the time. But I did when I pulled them out this morning. The gal had been talking about how Zoya is the only nail polish made for natural nails. Which meant nothing to me, so I listened with half an ear. This stuff is good stuff! It's free of toluene, formaldehyde, DBP (phthalates) and camphor. Now go look at your nail polishes - bet you can't say the same thing about them! Even their nail polish remover doesn't have any of those ingredients (that's the purple stuff in the bottom right corner). According to the Zoya website, their polish "has been awarded as the longest wearing natural nail polish by an independent panel in Women’s Health Magazine". Ok, mine's only been on for a few hours, so can't tell you about that. But I really, really like how it's formaldehyde, phthalate and toluene free.

So there ya have it. Go check out both the Zoya polish and the Bamboo Charcoal towels! You will not be disappointed.

4 comments:

  1. Zoya is not here in aus yet, i dont see it anywhere sob sob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elle - you can buy Zoya online: http://www.artofbeauty.com/scrpt/scr.dll/cat?brand=2 (or click the link in my post above). I don't know if they ship worldwide though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoya doesn't even ship to Canada, so they won't ship worldwide :-)

    6 bottles for $12 is a steal. Wish I could get some too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really? I wonder why not; there's nothing in there that would conflict with importation laws. Oh, that sucks!

    ReplyDelete

Please let us know what you think about this post! Your tips, tricks, opinions and questions are always welcome.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin