Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Makeup Tip: How to maximize your coverage without looking like it

With my 50th errrr, ummm, 29th birthday birthday looming next week, I've been examining my face closely. Let's face it; at 50 29, you're no longer a spring chicken, and unless you're a frequent flyer at the plastic surgeon, it shows on your skin.

I remember the days when all I hated about my looks were my stomach and elephant legs. That was an easy solution: I wear lots of long dresses, and there isn't a full length mirror to be found anywhere in my home (what you don't know, won't hurt you, lol). Nowadays, my face is chock full of fine lines, age spots, uneven color (aka blotchiness)... the list is endless. How do I cover all those signs of having lead a "full life"? Actually, it's quite easy. Here's what you do:


  1. If you have pretty oily skin, apply Oil Absorb all over your face, or in oily areas such as your T-Zone. This is best applied using a kabuki or a fluffy powder brush. (Skip this step and move on to step two if you have either dry, normal, combination or slightly oily skin).

  2. Apply Silk & Pearl Powder primer. I use a flat top brush, but you can use a kabuki or powder brush as well. Helpful hint: I even wear this primer to bed after washing and moisturizing my face. The pearl powder in it helps even your skin tone, and the product makes your face oh so soft!

  3. This is one of the most important steps. Put a drop of moisturizer (about the size of a pea) into the palm of your hand. Use a lightweight daytime moisturizer; one that is too emollient will not spread evenly. Tap out 2-3 taps of loose powder foundation on top of the moisturizer, and blend with your palms. Now apply that to your face and let sit for a minute or so. That's usually when I go stand in my closet and ponder what the heck I'm going to wear.

  4. Even though the title of this post is about maximizing coverage, if you want just a light coverage, you can stop here. It will give similar coverage to a tinted moisturizer, but you didn't have to go buy another product to get the look.

  5. Once that first layer has set (isn't tacky to the touch), buff on dry layers on top as needed.

  6. Spritz your face using a facial atomizer (I use Evian's facial spray). Hold the atomizer at arm's length and spray a light circle over your face. Be careful not to get your face too wet. Now pick up that same brush you used to buff on your foundation, and buff once more. The facial spray will set the foundation and avoid any cakey look.

  7. Add a layer of Diamond Perfect Finish using a Duo Fiber (aka stippler or skunk) brush to give an airbrushed look and blur fine lines and pores.

Side note: Many seem to think that Diamond Perfect Finish only works for those who have fair to light skin. It can be used for all skin colors. For those with darker skin, apply it between steps 4 and 5 and/or mix it with your foundation.


Here's the end result (one of these days, I'll get someone ELSE to take the picture):


6 comments:

  1. I really love the Diamond Perfect finish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - me too! What I don't love are pictures of myself. How do you guys do it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my guys say I'm photogenic. However, I think it all comes down to the camera and the camera angles :) and finishing powders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only thing worse than a picture of me is a mirror! Though I suppose it would help if someone else was taking the pic instead of me holding the camera at arm's length & guessing how high/low to hold it :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi-- I am interested in purchasing purely cosmetics, but am at a loss over what color to purchase. I am a dark brunette, with fair skin, pink undertones. I am nearly 50 and have fine lines. Overall, my skin is now dry and burns easily.
    What do you suggest? Thanks for the info.
    Sally

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sally,
    I always recommend to new customers to purchase sample sizes first so that you can be sure you picked the right shade. Most order the 3 pack sample jars (either with or without the brush, depending on whether you have a good flat top foundation brush), choosing 2-3 shades and/or formulas or primers. All of our sample jars are ample in size, and sufficent for several weeks worth of use, depending on application.

    Given the information you've provided, I'd say that you could be Neutral Light or Calif Blonde (in the Skin Smoothing). For the 3rd choice, go with either the Silk & Pearl Powder Primer (normal-dry), or the Diamond Perfect Finish (my vote). The link to our samples page is here.

    ReplyDelete

Please let us know what you think about this post! Your tips, tricks, opinions and questions are always welcome.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin