Monday, March 30, 2009

Tubular Mascara: Blinc vs L'Oreal

A couple of months ago, I was at a spa show and saw the Blinc Kiss Me masacara for the first time -I know, I live in a cave. I was really intrigued by the idea of a mascara that you "paint" on, and never really attaches to your lashes. It's not waterproof, but it doesn't smudge, rub off, or even come off with just water. As intrigued as I was about the idea, I wasn't so exicted that I could get myself to plop down $25 for a tube of mascara. Especially when at a show, there's nothing for you to actually try out to see what the heck this is. I left the show without purchasing any Blinc, but still pondering the idea of tubular mascara.

A couple of days later, I purchased the L'Oreal Double Extend at the grocery store for roughly half the price. Still twice the price of your regular drugstore brands, but a lot less of an investment to find out WTF this stuff is. It's actually pretty cool, and lives up to it's name. The notion of "racoon eyes" is completely gone when it comes to tubular mascara. I had a pretty emotional day one day while wearing it, ended up crying for an hour or fifty, and what did come off, you just flick away! I wash my face before going to bed, but I can't say that I always get all my mascara off. No problem - it'll be right where you left it when you wake up.

Fast forward to The Makeup Show - LA. Knowing now what the concept of tubular mascara is, I break down and buy Blinc's Kiss Me (don't get used to that name, btw - they're now just "Blinc") Mascara, the Eyelash Primer, and even their really cool looking heated eyelash curler. Is there a difference between the two other than price? Heck yes - to see both visually (warning ahead - pics of me can scare small children) and my opinions as to the differences, read on.


As you can see, the differences start with the primer. L'Oreal's is composed of fibers, and is the white primer we are all used to. I'm not a contact lense wearer, but from what I understand, those fibers can be an issue for those who do. Blinc's primer is thinner, and clear. Here's what they look like on:



Differences between the primers:
If your lashes are light like mine, they're a lot easier to find with the white L'Oreal primer, and one coat will do you. I found that I needed to use a couple of coats on the Blinc. However, the feel of the Blinc is much smoother, where with the L'Oreal, one can really feel those fibers - which, IMHO, isn't a positive. With the L'Oreal version, you need to work quickly - get that mascara on over the primer fast! You must wait at least 30 seconds before applying a second coat of Blinc's primer. Short downfall - especially if you're in a hurry.

Application:
As I said, work fast with L'Oreal. This stuff dries fast. Once it's dried, you're not adding any more layers. This actually stands true for both brands, but Blinc gives you 2 minutes to add your additional layers.

The photos below show application of both with 2 layers of mascara applied. It's a little deceptive, as my right eye is smaller than my left (which drives me batty). The L'Oreal gives more length, but I also discovered that at the end of the day, my eyelashes actually started to hurt because they were getting dried out. I didn't have the same issue with Blinc.


Ease of removal:
Huge difference here. Both mascaras are meant to not come off with pressure (ie: rubbing your eyes), nor with water (think crying), but the combination of the two is what will remove it. This is the case with Blinc, but definately not with L'Oreal. I found it darn near impossible to remove without lotsa warm water and soap. Perhaps this is why it also dried out my lashes so much. I prefer the Blinc's easier method of taking their product off, but your mileage may vary, depending on what you really want.

All of these photos were taken early in the morning when my eyes still looked like crap, and I had no makeup on, as I knew I'd be washing off the L'Oreal before getting ready for the day. Here's the final Blinc version only, after using the heated curler as well (which seem to compensate for the difference in length between the two):


I know, you don't see much difference between with my eyes made up and without. Next time I do something like this, I need a makeup artist to do me up! What was the whole point of this long-winded post? I wanted to know if the difference in price was worth it (yes!), and whether it's a viable product to carry in my line (another yes). It looks like I'll be carrying all 3 of the lash items: primer, mascara, and the heated curler (now THAT is way cool - no lash crimping!). What's your opinion? Have you tried one or the other? If I carry it, will you buy it?

9 comments:

  1. I've tried one of the L'Oreal mascaras with primer. I definitely felt like I got good results, but I tend to avoid wearing mascara like that because I wear contacts, so only for costume events. But I LOVE the look of long lashes.

    I really liked your review :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Was the L'Oreal you tried the Double Extend one? Theorhetically, the tubular mascaras aren't supposed to bother contact wearers, though those fibers can. Mostly because they come off in these stringy things (I should've taken a picture of that as well, but looking at my eyes was disgusting enough), so they don't get into your eyes. Hasn't bothered my daughter who wears contacts, nor come off when after 2 hours of swim practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use Blinc mascara, have for over a year - LOVE IT! I have super sensitive eyes, and am a contact lens wearer, and this is the only mascara i've ever used that hasn't irritated the crap out of my eyes. I don't use the primer, just the straight up mascara, and i adore it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried the L'Oreal Double Extend or the Blinc, but I have used Me by Mezhgan's Look at Me tubing mascara. It's a 1-step (i.e. no primer) tubing. And I luv it. Plus the tubes slip right off at night time!

    I'm intrigued on the Blinc now. And with your recommendation, yeah, I'll probably buck up the bucks to buy from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good - 'cuz my shipment is on it's way! It'll be here in a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Robyn! I appreciate the support and everything you said was on the dot! I swear there are just people out there that just don't understand certain things and instead of trying to find out more about it they just turn the other cheek and put it down. Ah well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loreal is always value for money.Does not let down at all...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I actually use Fiberwig by Imju
    It doesn't need a primer, but it does have those little stringy fibers, but I absolutely love this tubing mascara. And now I'm frightened to try anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  9. definitly blinc eyelash curler. i vote for blinc.

    ReplyDelete

Please let us know what you think about this post! Your tips, tricks, opinions and questions are always welcome.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin