Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Darn, I Missed World Aids Day :(


Yesterday's Cyber Monday sale was such a huge success that not only did it look like the FedEx hub here, but I missed the Bloggers Unite for World Aids Day. The purpose of the day was to raise awareness of AIDS with the help of all the bloggers out there spreading the word. I'm doing my bit, even if it is a day late - better late than not at all.


I know that this blog is primarily a beauty blog, mostly relating to my products and announcements, but AIDS is a topic near and dear to my heart, and I feel the need to do my part. If I reach just one person, it's worth it. My brother had AIDS, so I do this post in Roger's memory. I lost my brother Roger in April of 1995. He didn't die of AIDS, but died in a paragliding accident - perhaps though, this was a blessing in disguise. He died doing something he loved rather than the long, painful suffering he would have faced in the not too distant future had he lived. And our memory of him is one of someone happy and relatively healthy instead of a skeleton of the man he had been, ravaged by disease and pain.


As much as everyone thinks they know about HIV and AIDS, it still goes largely unchecked worldwide. For 27 years, HIV/AIDS has been a diagnosed disease. Our children and many adults have never known a world without it; that's a scary thought. I can't speak for other schools, but I was very disappointed that when my daughter took Health (aka Sex Ed) in junior high school, they were taught abstinence. To me, you're putting your head in the sand if you try to teach children that you shouldn't have sex until you're married. How many of you out there were virgins when you married? By teaching only abstinence, you're not teaching prevention. Cover your bases. There are kids out there who will have sex before they're married. Yours may be one of them, regardless of your own personal beliefs. Don't you want them to know about safe sex in the event that your child becomes sexually active prior to marriage? This isn't a case of "it only happens to gays". Anyone can contract AIDS or become HIV positive; it isn't a disease that discriminates. We tried to teach our daughter this but since, like the Peanuts comic strip, parents tend to say only "blah, blah, blah", the more mouths they hear it from, the better the chance that it will sink in. Take it even a step further - both my husband and I were tested for AIDS before we got married. One may know that they practiced safe sex, but you can't speak for the others you may partner with. It's a domino effect, and I'd have been acting unresponsibly by not being tested.


Teach your children. Spread the word. Donate to the cause. Do something to help stop this spread of disaster and suffering.


Roger, I'll always love and miss you.


I've said my peace. Now I'll get off my soapbox and return to regularly scheduled programming!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing your story. I am sorry for your loss, but, like you, I am glad that he passed away doing something he enjoyed instead of suffering. (hugs)

    ReplyDelete

Please let us know what you think about this post! Your tips, tricks, opinions and questions are always welcome.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin